Posted by Heather on 18:59:53 7/12/2011 from 220.127.116.11:
I have always been on the lookout for carpenter ants outside my home--I happen to be allergic to most ant stings, including the darn CA's so I try to keep them at least 50ft from the house. I came back from an unplanned trip (2 weeks out of the house) and there was a large colony of ants with ~50-75 winged CA's as well. (The main nest was easy to spot with tons of "dust" and a line to the bathroom for water)
I freaked. I admit it. However, CA's are nothing new to me...outside. I had ye olde baits as well as some of the liquid baits that I out out. Within the time between 9pm and 9am both liquid baits were drained. I replaced them and went on with my day, only to find the next two drained by that evening. EEEP!!! More panic.
Then I read the ingredients on the liquid: sucrose and tetraborate. Well, having run out of the tasty liquid I dusted the area by where they were feeding with my handy dandy boric acid from my laundry and made up some peanut butter/boric acid bait and placed that in the middle of their feeding frenzy (and the boric acid dust).
Now it is 5 days later and I am seeing quite a bit of reduced activity and dead bodies...but I also am worried that I am just slowing them down. I vacuumed up the area by where they were, after removing the trim. Lots of evidence of activity and a fair amount of live critters got dumped far away from my house after that fun.
So here is the question:
If I continue to bait them with the peanut butter/boric acid, and continue to dust the area, will that take care of them? I am one of the few people I know that reacts to their stings, but I am tired of not being able to sit on my own floor without being labelled as food. I don't usually have issues with ants in the house as long as I keep plants trimmed back, but it has been so dry this year that they may have moved in just to be where it is cool (and near the bathroom for water.)
So far there are no signs of current water damage, though I know that the area had some damage in mid-winter. The dry air should have taken care of that though...Outside there is my garden, which is a great source of water for them, but I have looked outside and they don't seem to be traveling to/from the house, only meandering outside in other areas.
Any ideas or suggestions now that the panic has subsided?
Post a Followup
UnExCo's Other Message Boards: