Posted by John Fasoldt on 8:51:54 5/15/2011 from 220.127.116.11:
In reply to: Paper Wasps in house posted by Michele on 21:38:10 5/14/2011 from 18.104.22.168:
Well, howdy there, Ms M! Everybody needs some help every once in awhile, even me!
Could be just a bad year for wasps. Or a good year, depending on how you look at it.... That's not an inordinate amount of wasps, BTW. About normal, from what complaints I get. We can even see a few in this office, which is really a house converted to an office. I haven't seen any this year, but there are a couple of bodies in the recessed light fixtures in my office.
And they COULD be coming from a flue pipe, I have seen them overwinter in fireplaces and fireplace chimneys that aren't used for fires. They couldn't survive in an active exhaust flue. They do get into the furnace outlet of my little RV from time-to-time, I'm a fair weather camper.
More likely, they're filtering down from the attic, as your house ages, it tends to develop a few flaws that can offer an advantage to these little guys (girls).
Really the easiest thing to do? Turn on the light up there and LEAVE it on - 24/7 - until the summertime. That will tend to keep the wasps up there (they're attracted to lights) and if you want to get fancy, use a florescent light and suspend it over a tray of soapy water
On the outside you have to patrol every few days, certainly in the spring, and when you see a nest develop. you can just hit it with the hose, no chems needed.
As far as the animals are concerned, it's generally not a worry. Most animals take this in stride, with no problems, it's mostly humans that get freaked out. And your animal (dog, cat) detects this easily. Once they are stung they are more wary about it. Dogs take it better than cats, dogs get angry, cats are pretty wary (and quick) so they don't get hit too often, and when they do, just bound away. My cat paid no attention to them, so perhaps he was stung. He killed everything else.
I would do the lights before anything else. See what happens. Besides, after the first burst of hot weather it will probably end anyway. Those queens can't last long. Maybe 24 hours tops, before they have to get outside. Leave the blinds open on the sunny side of the house and the ones that blunder inside will wind up on your window where they're easy to kill - use a rolled-up newspaper or something, not a spray insecticide.
Come back and see me anytime! (Sorry for the long answer!)
Post a Followup