Welcome to UnExCo's Termite Message Board!

Our Termite Message Board is a special place to ask your termite questions or share your experiences about termites and your problems. Before posting, please go through our termite links, (BELOW) and make sure your questions are not answered there.

Sinking floor, should we move?


[ Followups ] [ Post Followup ] [ UnExCo Home ] [ Help Desk ] [ Post a New Message ] [ Termite Board ]
[ UnExCo's Termite Page ] [ UnExCo's Termite Baiting Page ] [ spam ]
UnExCo's Other Message Boards: [ Main Message Board ] [ Squirrel Board ] [ Ant Board ] [ Bedbug Board ]

Posted by KM on 10:11:14 12/4/2008 from 208.22.191.150:

We live in an old farm house and the main part of the house is on a rock foundation. The kitchen floor slopes toward one corner so much that everything in the kitchen leans towar that corner. The floor has seperated from the wall enough to leave about a 2 inch opening which we have stuffed with a towel. My husband went under the house and discovered that the plate which should be on the foundation has been turned to saw dust. This past summer, in an addition that was later added to the house (on the opposite side than the kitchen and not on the rock foundation) he found active termites and ruined floor joists. In this room the floor was also seperating from the wall but not to the same extent as the kitchen. He did jack up the house a little with the intention of replacing things but since we rent we wanted to wait for the landlord to get the place exterminated. She does not want to do that until the place is looked at by a contractor and she finds out how extensive the damage is and wheter or not it would even be worth it do make all the repairs and so on. A few days ago I moved things in the addition room because there was a lot of cold air in that room and noticed that what was once a smaller seperation has now turned into a 2 t to 3 inch gap and that the floor was actually collasping. I can see the rotton wood through the opening. The landlord has people coming to give an estimate, but I'm not sure if we can live in the house while they make repairs. I'm so stressed about the situation and feel that we should move as soon as possible and that adds even more stress. Is moving now necessary or would waiting until spring/summer be safe?



Name:
E-Mail (optional):
Subject:
Comments:
Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Spam Blocker:59E9EA
Spam Blocker*:
 Please key in the value above the text box. We're trying to reduce spam on the boards.


[ Followups ] [ Post Followup ] [ UnExCo Home ] [ Help Desk ] [ Post a New Message ] [ Termite Board ]
[ UnExCo's Termite Page ] [ UnExCo's Termite Baiting Page ] [ spam ]
UnExCo's Other Message Boards: [ Main Message Board ] [ Squirrel Board ] [ Ant Board ] [ Bedbug Board ]